Import and Export - Livsmedelsverket

Import and Export

A man drinking juice Photo:Magnusson produktion

General information for new importers of foodstuff



All companies trading in foodstuff have to be registered at or approved by the municipality where the company is situated.



All foods sold in Sweden must be labeled in Swedish.



Imported foods must not contain unapproved additives.


Novel foods

For so-called "novel foods" not currently consumed in the EU, authorization is required in compliance with the EU regulation on Novel Foods and Novel Food Ingredients.


Alcoholic beverages

Importers of alcoholic beverages must contact The National Tax Board of Sweden. Other authorities that should also be contacted include the Swedish Customs and the Swedish National Institute for Public Health.


Health foods and dietary supplements

Importers of health food products should contact the Medical Products Agency to find out whether the product is classified asfood or as a pharmaceutical product. Special regulations also apply for dietary supplements.


Prepackaged foodstuffs

A brochure on what to think about when starting to import prepackaged foodstuffs is available;in the column to the right.


Handling permit

Application for a permit to handle ready-to-drink beverages in plastic bottles (PET bottles, e.g. soft drinks) should be addressed to the Swedish Board of Agriculture, Vallgatan 8, SE-551 82 Jönköping.

Import fees

The National Food Agency charges a fee for import controls on certain foods from non-EU countries.

For information concerning customs fees, please contact the Swedish Customs.


Licensing regulations

Licensing regulations may exist for agricultural products from third countries. The Swedish Board of Agriculture requires import licences for importers of e.g.:

- fruits and vegetables

- dairy products

- meats

- sugar

- rice and cereals

A guide to regulations concerning import licensing can be found on the website of the Swedish Board of Agriculture's web site. If you have any questions, please contact the Swedish Board of Agriculture.

Updated: 28/10/2014